Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Are we asking for something posible?


What a subject to close this part of the course! Chilean’s Education System.

I don’t know about you, but I’m surprised. Really. More than the article itself, which I thought was most important and most impressive were the comments. Seriously, I think at first were quite offensive and even a little ethnocentric, if not racist (characteristic of the West). But suddenly everything changed and became something serious (thanks in part to ‘apumaric’…and yes, I read all the comments). 

It’s interesting, entertaining and captivating to see how other countries think about our situation, it's like feedback. All this time I've been watching what the national media said about education, but I had not noticed what people from the outside thought.  And I could identify several positions on this issue in our country, from funny guys with nothing better to do than to annoy people to others with very good arguments. 'Apumaric', for example, caught my attention. In addition to his comment was quite large (and longer in fact), I was surprised by the certainty with which he was referring to the situation of education in our country. At first I thought it might be someone who had been in Chile for several years (because he know us enough), but then I realized that he was actually a Chilean. He seems to be a very educated person (and he may be studied in Chile, funny!)

Anyway, the comments made me realize something I already knew but didn’t want to see. This situation is common in many other parts of the world. A Colombian, for example, said this was exactly what was happening in their country. An Englishman said that he looked very familiar item description. In short, we aren’t alone in this and we aren’t the first. This is the same situation in which students were nearly 30 years ago and today we are experiencing the same thing. Our ideals and our hopes not allow us to realize that they failed a lot. Moreover, if today we are in this situation is because almost nothing has been achieved in all these years. Are we trying to really accomplish in a few weeks which hasn’t been achieved for over 25 years? Don’t we realize that this is just started?

I have many ideals, but I have specific goals too. Of course I want this situation to change, but there are powerful people behind this. I feel that the only ones that lose here are we, students. While private universities continue their classes and still charge the same tariffs, we are on the street asking for something that, although is fair, no one is willing to allow.

And the only thing that comes to mind with this is the thing that we have become. While some people want more and more at the expense of others, those others are resigned to work because they can’t do something better. Have we been like this from the beginning? Or is that something went wrong and come to this?

I really don’t know what to think, I am very disappointed on us.



2 comments:

  1. We have to look at the sky if we want to do something great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, the movement's goals are unlikely to be achieved in the short term. Do not be naive but do not be a resigned ... is also an achievement to have put the issue on the table...

    ReplyDelete