Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The power of language.

Hello partners, today is a great day. The topic for today is language.
All of this began when we saw a long, but very interesting video about language. I really enjoyed it because “illuminate me”. Really, I hadn’t thought about that, although is very clear. We have evolved thanks of language, it’s one of our biggest tool to communicate and to learn. One of the most striking Mark Pagel’s sentences was: “Language is a piece of social technology for enhancing the benefits of cooperation”. Social Technology? Brilliant. I mean, let’s think a case: we have to get food from the supermarket…but, we are in another country, with another language. What do we do? We can’t just talk to the people and say: “Hi, I need a chicken”. They won’t understand us because we don`t speak the same language! It’s like a “bird without wings”, like Pagel said.
The power of language is really amazing, we can “implant our thoughts in other people minds”, for example, “language is the voice of our genes”.
That makes me think about my own language: “Chilean Spanish”. I mean, we are nothing in the global community. That’s the reason because I want to learn English, I want “to be part of the world”.
Mark Pagel was finally right (again): Our destiny is to be a one world with (only) one language.
I think that language is already well-defined: ENGLISH.
Bye.-

3 comments:

  1. I like it ... is necessary that you think about whats`s the language for you, you are an anthropologist Marta! you can do it! I trust in you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree about the importance of language like a technological tool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can learn English, be part of the world, and add a lot more charm with your Chilean Spanish mother tongue. I honestly hope English never becomes the only language. That would mean a radical worldwide change and it would take decades to happen:(

    ReplyDelete